Does my family need documentation for a Visitor Visa for Graduation?

Invitation letters or supporting documents from the university are not required for family members who want to visit the United States. According to the Department of States website for obtaining a Visitor Visa: A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a visitor visa. If you choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember it is not one of the factors used in determining whether to issue or deny the visa.

Therefore, Saint Joseph University does not issue invitation letters for family members who want to attend graduation. However, if you choose to write an invitation letter for your family member, you can use the sample letter below as a template. The following are suggestions only. We cannot guarantee how the U.S. Consulate will approach each individual situation.

In addition to a letter, you could also send your relative the following documents: Evidence of your valid student status and evidence of your upcoming graduation, Copies of your transcript and/or current enrollment, A photocopy of your I-20, passport, visa and I-94 card, Evidence of your ability to financially support your visitor during their stay. (This evidence only if your visitor does not have the funds to support himself or herself during the visit to the U.S.)

Sample Invitation Letter

United States Consul General
(Address of Foreign Consulate Where Person Will Apply for the Visa – check online)
Dear Honorable Consul:
My name is (First Name) (Last Name) and I reside at (Your US Address). I am a student at Saint Joseph's University majoring in (Major). I am requesting that a tourist (B-2) visa be issued to (Person you want to invite), in order to allow (her/him) to visit with me in the United States. (She/He) is my (Explain your relationship to the person) and will be
visiting with me from (arrival date) to (departure date). (Explain why you want the person to visit). During (her/his) stay in the United States, (she/he) will stay with me at my residence at the address stated below. I will be responsible for all of (her/his) room and board expenses while (she/he) is in the United States. Upon the termination
of (her/his) visit, (she/he) will return to (Country). As proof of my enrollment at the institution and upcoming commencement, I have attached a copy of my most recent I-
20 and printouts of my institution's graduation information from their website. My family has been very supportive of my US academic studies and I would be honored to have them attend my graduation ceremony, as I owe much of my success to them.
Your kind consideration of this request will be greatly appreciated.
Very truly yours,


Article ID: 143744
Thu 1/12/23 10:05 AM
Thu 1/26/23 11:05 AM