How can I request a Free Tax Return Transcript from the IRS?

If your FAFSA is selected for federal verification, your IRS Tax Transcripts are required for SJU to complete the verification process. Rather than requesting a tax transcript through the IRS, you have the option to update your FAFSA by using the Data Retrieval Tool to link your information with the IRS.

If you are not eligible or prefer not to use the Data Retrieval Tool, you can order your transcript directly from the IRS.   Please make sure to request a Tax Transcript as that is the only acceptable type; Tax Account Transcripts or Record of Account Transcripts are NOT acceptable.  Below are two ways you can order your Tax Transcript:


1.  To order online:

What You Need:

To register and use this service, you need:

  • Your SSN, date of birth, filing status and mailing address from latest tax return
  • Access to your email account
  • Your personal account number from a credit card, mortgage, home equity loan, home equity line of credit or car loan and
  • A mobile phone with your name on the account

2. To order by mail:

What You Need:

To use this service, you need your:

  • SSN or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
  • Date of birth and
  • Mailing address from your latest tax return
50% helpful - 2 reviews


Article ID: 52699
Wed 4/25/18 5:34 PM
Tue 6/6/23 11:10 AM