General Federal Grant Question

What is it?

Grants: Financial aid that doesn't have to be repaid (unless, for example, you withdraw from school and owe a refund).

Pell: A grant primarily for low-income students who haven't already received a post-secondary degree.

SEOG: The Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, reserved for college students with the greatest need for financial aid to attend school.

Who can use it?

Because the Pell Grant is a federal aid program, you need to meet basic eligibility for federal student aid in order to be considered for the Pell. There are a lot of complicated-seeming requirements, so we put together two lists that describe everything you need before applying to aid.

You need to check off every item on List #1, and only one item on List #2. 

List #1 – have a high school diploma, GED or approved homeschool education; be enrolled or accepted in an eligible degree/certificate program; be registered with Selective Service; if you are male and between 18-25 years old; have a valid social security number (unless you are from the Marshall Islands, Federal States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau; sign statements on the FAFSA that you’re not in default and do not owe refund money on a federal student loan and you’ll only use federal aid money to help pay for your education; maintain “satisfactory” progress in school.

List #2 - In addition to the items listed above, you must be able to check ONE of the following: - Be a US Citizen or US national; have a green card; have an arrival-departure record; have battered immigrant status; have a T-Visa.

Where can I access this service?

To determine eligibility, a student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each academic year.  If eligible for federal grants, they will appear on the official financial aid award letter.

Request Service


Service ID: 26994
Wed 3/28/18 9:40 AM
Tue 12/20/22 11:23 AM