Change Username

What is it?

If your legal name or University status changes (e.g. you change from a student to an employee), your SJU username may be changed as a result. You will receive an email from SJU's Office of Information Technology with instructions on how to make that change.

Who can use it?

SJU faculty, staff, or student who has a legal name change or change in University status.  

Where can I access this service?

If you have already received that email, please click the "Change Username" button to the right.